I'm away this week teaching at Georgetown University in the New Strategies Program so I'll keep this short...
First, I launched my latest survey last week on what you want to see more (or less) of from Selfish Giving in 2019. Early results are reporting that readers want monthly expert webinars. But is this true for you? What do you want in addition to my Wednesday newsletter? I want to hear form you.
Second, you loved last week's story on Children's Miracle Network's and how they retained corporate partners for decades. And with good reason! Nonprofits report that 85% of their corporate revenue portfolio comes from their existing partners. Stewardship is critical.
Want to learn more? Sign up for this FREE live webinar next week on stewardship with CMN's Clark Sweat, Catalist’s Maureen Carlson and Lyft’s Veronica Juarez.
✍️ Partnership Notes
1. Burger King's new Real Meals cause campaign was met with cheers (and some jeers) last week. My take is that this is good news for cause marketers as BK is helping to mainstream an issue many brands have been hesitant to discuss. And because I knew you would ask: sales of the meals don't trigger a donation to the chain's cause partner Mental Health America. But BK is making an undisclosed donation to the nonprofit.
2. Goldfish Swim School with 87 locations is aiming to raise $1 million for the USA Swimming Foundation's Make a Splash program, which supports swim lesson providers with grant funding to give every opportunity to learn how to swim. Franchise owners are using donation-based family swims, raffles, competitions, donation drives and more to raise money.
3. It's nice to see that someone gives a crap. From May 16-19 Poo-Pourri is donating 100% of website sales to the Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation, up to $25,000! But what if Poo-Pourri made a splash the Swimming Foundation to teach kids to swim with this classic clip??? 🤣
4. Every Dutch Bros Coffee poured at its 290 locations on Drink One for Dane Day will support the Muscular Dystrophy Association. After raising $1.3M in 2018, Dutch is shooting for $1.5M this year. This fundraiser is a nice example of a donate profits day. Here are 18 more examples of this fundraiser.
5. Children's Miracle Network and GiveWorx launch the first secure e-commerce plugin to collect charitable donations from online shoppers at the point of sale.
🤑 Marketing Your Cause
1. Prospective corporate partners want more data and research in your content.⬆︎ Stop pitching and start explaining, advising and teaching.
3. More nonprofits should be trying to improve the domain authority of their websites. It's all about being at the top of relevant search results. Remember, the best place to hide a body is on page two of Google search!
4. Research on the best channel for generating B2B leads, how to combine it with other top channels and what to use instead if you prefer the rest to the best.
😎 Cool Jobs in Cause**
1. New Business Officer, Corporate Giving, American Red Cross (Medford, MA)
2. Senior Director, Partnerships, Comcast (Philadelphia, PA)
3. Partnership Manager, Careers In Nonprofits (Denver, CO)
**Have your cause-related job featured here for FREE. Hit reply to this email and give me the details and a link.
🧠🍌 Brain Food
1. Regardless of what cause you represent in your day job, we all have one overriding cause on which we should be pressing businesses: saving the planet. [Did you hit a paywall on this article - or any other article in my newsletter? Hit reply to this email and I will send this to you.]
2. Sharpen the saw. Three simple habits to improve your critical thinking.
3. Hallelujah. The scientific case for eating bread.
Have a question, comment or just want to say hi? Just hit reply or head over to Twitter.