A few housekeeping items today:
1. "I thought we were friends?" [For those who receive email newsletter] Does the salutation at the top say "Hi, Cause Marketer." I'd rather address you by your first name! Scroll to the very bottom and click on "Update Your Profile" and add your first name and email and that will update my database.
2. "That damn welcome mat!" When you visit Selfishgiving.com a welcome mat drops down asking you to sign up for my newsletter. But that can be irritating when you already receive my newsletter! I get it! Do this: next time you see that welcome mat, type in your email address again (no, you won't get my newsletter twice) and it should go away!
3. "Yeah, but I do get your newsletter twice!" I send my newsletter out on Wednesday mornings and again on Friday - but just to those subscribers that didn't open it on Wednesday. Still, some of you, even after opening Wednesday's issue, will get my newsletter again on Friday. I'm sorry! Two things. First, make sure the Wednesday email fully loads. Second, you may see a link at the top of my email that says "Display Images Below." Make sure to click on that as that helps signal my email provider that you opened the email.
4. "Don't send me articles I can't read!" Are you frustrated that I sometimes link to articles that you can't access because they are behind a paywall? Just hit reply and ask me to send you the article. I'm happy to email it to you. Really, it's no problem. I live to serve. Another option: do you use the reading and curation app Pocket? If you do, I have a hack for you that you've might have missed that can help you read articles behind a paywall. It may even work with Instapaper. 🤫Shhhh...it's a secret!! Hit reply to learn more.
🖋 Partnership Notes
1. Here's a good roundup of brands that offered discounts to voters on November 6th.
2. I saw this at Michaels Stores. Turkey on the Table. Give thanks this Thanksgiving and support Feeding America. But I'm not sure I want to be looking at a cute turkey while I'm eating another.🧐
3. Shaving brand Harry’s is further linking its brand to men’s mental health with a $500,000 donation and a new campaign starring veterans with PTSD.
5. Wow. Retailer Five Below is on quite a tear. The number of stores they've opened has quadrupled in the past six years. Is your nonprofit working with them? I know St. Jude Children's Research Hospital is one partner. I'd love to hear of another success story!
6. Here's a buzzword and stat from Edelman for your pitch deck. "Belief-Driven Buyers": 59 percent of consumers report that they prefer to buy from brands largely based on the values and advocacy of the brand.
📣 Marketing Your Cause
1. Times have changed. Your brand needs to be loud, aggressive and outspoken like you know who.
3. The faltering of the Combined Federal Campaign (CFC) is not a marketing problem. It's a cultural shift from which it won't fully recover. Can the CFC survive? Absolutely - if it accepts now that it will have to be run as a much, much smaller entity. Ditto United Way. Any truth is better than make believe (Thoreau).
4. Is your target audience Gen Z? They have a whole different way of communicating - and it's not text-based.
5. Working with Polar Bears International, Irish bookie Paddy Power explains why they painted a cross on a polar bear...and it's pretty brilliant. [VIDEO]
😎 Cool Jobs in Cause**
1. Corporate & Foundation Relations Manager, Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital (Plymouth, MA)
2. Director, Corporate Initiatives, Girl Scouts of America (NYC)
**Have your cause-related job featured here for FREE. Hit reply or email me at email@example.com.
🧠🍌 Brain Food
2. Team Rubicon's advice on how to attract veterans as volunteers. Learn from the best!
3. How to interview a fundraising job candidate who’s not a fundraiser.
Have a question, comment or just want to say hi? Just leave a comment in the comments below. 🙏