Thanks for your patience waiting for the results of the 2019 Selfish Giving / Accelerist Partnership Law Survey many of you took back in May.
Karen Wu of Perlman & Perlman and I received a lot of questions about corporate partnerships and the law. On the surface, this was great! But we did need to establish a process for answering everyone’s questions. That’s taken some time, but we think you’ll enjoy the results.
Over the next few months, Karen and I will be releasing a four-part series on the four key legal issues for which you requested guidance.
2. Registration Requirements
3. Contract Issues
Today, we’re answering five questions on advertising disclosures.
1. Are cause marketing advertising disclosure “best practices” also required by law? Some of our corporate partners think they are just “suggestions.”
2. What if a company insists on structuring a campaign where the donation is based on a percentage of its profits, rather than a percentage of the purchase price?
3. Have any companies ever gotten into trouble with regulators for failing to include certain information in their cause marketing advertisements?
4. Advertising disclosure problems only present a real legal risk to the corporate partner, not the charity, right?
5. Can the company simply state on the hangtag or store signage, “10% of the purchase price will be donated to ABC Charity, see www.company.com/ABCCharity for details,” and then include the website URL where the minimum guarantee and/or donation cap can be found?
✍️ Partnership Notes
1. Keds And fashion designer Rachel Antonoff unveiled a feminist shoe you can wear to vote.
2. As if raising $2.6 million at 1,400 stores last spring wasn't enough, discount retailer Big Lots is at it again with a register program for the entire month of October. All the money is going to Nationwide Children's Hospital.
3. Last month, I shared how Kanas City Chiefs fans were snapping up "kingdom flags" 🚩at McDonald's restaurants. The result? A record donation for Ronald McDonald House Charities of Kansas City. Thanks to Emily Hodes Gretzinger at RMHC of KC for the update!
🤑 Marketing Your Cause
1. Maybe the title of this article should read: Gen Z has serious influence on household donations (even if they aren't donating).
2. If you write press releases, this is a truly definitive guide to writing better ones.
3. Most nonprofits don't realize this: Raising money for your cause is a marketing problem. Take it from Seth Godin.
😎 Cool Jobs in Cause
1. Vice President of Major Gifts & Corporate Relations, IDEA Public Schools (Austin, TX)
2. Director of Corporate Engagement, Children's Hospital of Wisconsin (Milwaukee, WI)
3. Director of Corporate Philanthropy, Project C.U.R.E (Denver, CO)
Have your cause-related job featured here for FREE. Hit reply to this email and give me the details and a link to the position.
🧠🍌 Brain Food
1. Poor kids get to choose their donors in a twist on sponsorships.
2. Why charities need to join the fight against fake news.
Have a question, comment, or just want to say hi? Just hit reply or head over to Twitter.