The people who read my newsletter are corporate partnership pros, but the section that is most popular with readers is not "Partnership Notes." It's "Marketing Your Cause" - and with good reason! You realize that the better you market your cause, the easier it will be to recruit corporate partners. Since January I've been seeing a trend that I want to address...
At the beginning of the year, I explained why you should be on Twitter in 2019. I got some great emails from people that wanted to use Twitter more effectively. Mission accomplished!
Two weeks ago, I shared a post on what is and isn't working on Facebook right now. You ❤️it and it was very popular. I'm glad because Facebook - while clearly evil 👿- is still important.
Last week, I shared a post on ten nonprofits that are using Instagram incredibly well. It was the most read post of the week, easily beating all the other articles I shared with you. I'm glad you liked it. And I'm not even active on Instagram!
This week, I'm sharing another article on Instagram and recommending a guide to SEO. I'm betting both these links will be very popular!
But here's what I don't want you to lose sight of. While social media and search engine marketing are important, the real focus of your marketing efforts - whether they are for you organization in general or specifically for corporate partnerships - should be on your website and building an email list. Facebook, Instagram and SEO are not an end, they are a means to an end (i.e. To drive traffic to your website and an email opt-in box!)
I'm not the only one saying this. Take the advice of one of the world's best known digital marketers: Rand Fishkin of SparkToro (formerly of MOZ). I highly recommend two resources to you:
For the latter, I highly suggest you scroll down and read some of the comments from several other smart people. Good luck. Let me know if you have any questions!
✍️ Partnership Notes
1. Big Brothers Big Sisters has partnered with Nordstrom Rack for a month-long fundraising promotion where customers can buy a sponsor-a-moment tag at checkout.
2. Send this to your restaurant prospects as "social proof" they should be working with your cause.
3. UK retailer Marks & Spencer and Fashion Targets Breast Cancer launched a cause marketing campaign called #BosumBuddies. A cancer survivor offered some great advice on how the campaign could have been better.
4. Umm...St. Jude Children's Research Hospital has raised a $1,000,000,000 with cause marketing in the past 15 years.😳
🤑 Marketing Your Cause
1. Because I know you love Instagram! A 10-step plan to launch (or revise) your Instagram marketing strategy.
2. Are you interested in having your content rank higher in Google's search engine? You should be! MOZ has completely revised and updated its beginner's guide to SEO - and it's awesome!
3. If historians can do this, so can cause marketers, but we need to be active on Twitter! How historians got Nike to pull an ad campaign — in under six hours. [Can't read this article - or any other I link to - because of a paywall? Hit reply to this email and I'll send it to you.]
😎 Cool Jobs in Cause Marketing**
1. Senior Program Manager, Corporate Partnerships Manager, Engineers Without Borders (London)
2. Manager, Corporate Partnership Communications, Share our Strength (Washington, DC)
3. Director, Business Development, Global Giving (Washington, DC)
4. Senior Director, Content & Engagement, Pennsylvania Humanities Council (Philadelphia)
5. Corporate Partnerships Officer, Joslin Diabetes Center (Boston)
**Have your cause-related job featured here for FREE. Hit reply to this email and give me the details and a link.
🧠🍌 Brain Food
1. Two pushbacks on selfish selfie culture. First, Public Lands Hate You is shaming irresponsible behavior on America’s public lands. Why didn't I think of that! Second, this artist is "dying" at the world’s most popular landmarks.
2. My new friends at Proud Pour make wines that support 20 environmental nonprofits to restore oyster reefs and bee habitat. They recently launched a Kickstarter campaign for their third beverage, Cider for Sea Turtles to support sea turtle hospitals 🐢🏥 across the U.S. Please consider supporting them! 😀
3. Because I know you want to be working in corporate partnerships for a long, long time... What's the secret to reaching 111?
Have a question, comment or just want to say hi? Just leave a comment below or head over to Twitter. 🙏