It's Halloween 🎃so let's have some fun! The question I get every October (Ok, not really, but let's pretend) is "Joe, I love cause marketing so much. What's the perfect costume for a cause marketer?"
Good question! I recommend five costumes:
1. Pick up a devil/angel costume and you can go as the Selfish Giving logo! Watch as your neighbors' mouths drop as they say, "Hey, you're Selfish Giving!"
2. A Product RED Apple iPhone costume is perfect for lovers of purchase-triggered donations!
3. To commemorate a defining moment in the history of cause marketing dress up as the Statue of Liberty.
4. Salvation Army bellringers have raised hundreds of millions at malls and outside of businesses for over a century.
5. Why not dress up as your favorite charity pinup? Who wouldn't recognize an MDA Shamrock!
But I think we need one more costume! Hit reply to this email and share ONE MORE COSTUME IDEA that would be perfect for a cause marketer!
The person (or two or three!) with the best suggestion will win a Selfish Giving t-shirt! I just got a whole box of new tees!
They're wicked stylish! Just look at Kathy Hoff from People in Need in Ohio who received a tee as part of my birthday promotion back in September.
Good luck and I hope you have an absolutely frightening Halloween! 🙀
1. According to a new report from Benevity, there are three trends shaping workplace giving: responsive-ness, democratization and inclusiveness.
2. Can you believe it's almost Movember? Here's a nice round-up of corporate partnerships. Even the Jolly Green Giant is growing a stache.
3. Capri Sun and No Bully build a "Together Table". The table stakes are $160,000.
4. What a great idea for a partnership. Midas is partnering with 1-800-Charity Cars, a nonprofit that donates vehicles to struggling families, to fix 1,000 cars and give them to needy families through an initiative dubbed Project Spark.
5. A good article to share with your corporate partners on building social impact into your whole business. I like #3: Manage social impact as a portfolio.
6. REI's fourth #OptOutside includes $1M for a research study.
7. 67 pins on Halloween cause marketing 🎃that will inspire you for next year.
8. Halloween pop-up stores are one good reason why you should put other pop-up stores on your prospect list.
Marketing your cause
1. I really respect Michael Stelzner at Social Media Examiner (definitely subscribe to his newsletter!). He makes a good case for why your Facebook videos should be shorter than two minutes...and where you should move your longer videos.
2. Perhaps the most overused word in nonprofit communication. 🙄⬆️ Kill it! 🕷
Cool jobs in cause**
1. National Senior Communications Manager, Corporate/Philanthropic Audience, City Year (Boston)
2. Corporate Development Officer, American Diabetes Association (NYC)
3. Corporate Relations & Sponsorships Manager, Shea's Performing Arts Center (Buffalo, NY)
4. Corporate Partnership Coordinator, Team IMPACT (Quincy, MA)
**Have your cause-related job featured here for FREE. Hit reply or email me at email@example.com.
Brain food (Halloween edition so like actual brains...🧠🔪)
1. Are you watching The Haunting of Hill House 👻on Netflix. Me too.😳The book it's based on is even better!
2. Embarrassing tales from the crypt: dead people are better donors than corporations.
3. 16 top fundraisers on the lessons of scary movies.
4. I want a fire pit in my backyard so I can burn these skulls in it. Is that normal?
Have a question, comment or just want to say hi? Just leave a comment. 🙏