Today on CauseTalk Radio, Megan and I talk to Alison DaSilva, Executive Vice President, Cone Communications about how to start a career in cause marketing.
Alison, Megan and I get calls and emails every week from people who want a job in cause marketing. Most of them are recent college graduates, or might already be already working in fundraising, marketing, advertising or public relations.
What they all share is a desire to work at the intersection of philanthropy, marketing and business.
On today's show we discuss:
- Alison's journey to a career in cause marketing from college to the nonprofit world to a 17-year career at one of the top cause marketing agencies in the country.
- What's the best academic and professional background for recent college graduates and career-changers.
- Why internships are the key to breaking into the field.
- Why cause marketing careers in the nonprofit world are made not born.
- Why every cause marketer needs to be a salesperson.
- The difference between doing cause marketing for a nonprofit, a business or an agency - and why Alison thinks the latter may be the best.
- How Cone Communications on-boards new employees.