Today on CauseTalk Radio, Megan I talk to Mark Epstein, Co-founder & CEO of The People's Operator (TPO).
The People's Operator is a socially conscious mobile provider based in the U.K. has launched its service stateside with the help of Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales. The company donates 10% of its subscribers' monthly bills to a cause of their choice. In addition, the company donates 25% of its profits to charity as well.
Megan, Mark and I discuss:
- How The TPO began and how Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales got involved.
- The beginnings of TPO in the U. K. and its launch in the U. S.
- TPO's ambitious plans to launch a social network alongside its offering.
- TPO's goal to democratize giving by allowing users to support causes of any kind or size.
- The challenge of getting people to switch to TPO in the U. K. and the U. S.
- Mark's personal guarantee that my 15-year-old's cellphone service won't be disrupted if I have switch plans!
- How TPO plans to deal with competitors - like the big mobile carriers (e.g. AT&T, Verizon, etc.).
- Can other types of businesses benefit and learn from what TPO is doing?
- How TPO is working with bigger charities to spread the word on TPO and get new subscribers.