Scott Pansky of Allison + Partners is one of the most knowledge guys I know on cause marketing. Not long ago I said he should write a book. The other day he sent me his bullet points for 5 Tips for Developing Cause Marketing Partnerships.
Well, I guess it's a start!
Of course, Scott made some excellent points. To them, I've added posts I've written that elaborate on them. They're a poor a substitute to what Scott could write on the subject. But until Scott writes his book on cause marketing it will have to do!
#1. Is Cause Marketing Right for Your Organiztation?
- Do you have dedicated staff people? My post: Don't Hire a Full-Time Cause Marketer
- Do you have strong assets in addition to talent? My post: 3 Easy Steps to Cause Marketing Success
#2. Do Research on the Company Before Reaching Out to Them
- Research their marketing, PR, sales goals and objectives. My post: Want Better Cause Partnerships? Research Partners on Social Media
- Do both your goals align? My post: How to Choose a Cause for Cause Marketing
#3. Be Brief, Be Bright, Be Gone
- Help them see a marketing return on investment, not a fundraising problem. My post: How Businesses Can Measure ROI on Cause Marketing
- Use a brief powerpoint or word document. My post: Selling Local Sponsorships for Nonprofits: Closing the Deal
#4. Be Creative
- Don't do cookie-cutter cause marketing. My post: The Best Local Cause Marketing of 2011
#5. Have Fun! Build It and They Will Come!
- Cause marketing is just another fundraising tactic, don't use it to replace traditional funding tools. My post: Want to be More Successful? Stop Focusing on Cause Marketing