Today on CauseTalk Radio, Megan and I talk to Peter Zandee, U. S. Sales Manager, Tony's Chocolonely, about their efforts to fight child slavery in the chocolate industry in West Africa.
On the show, Megan, Peter and I discuss:
- How Tony's got started by a Dutch journalist who was appalled by the slavery in West Africa.
- The founders had no experience making chocolate or working in West Africa. But they had a powerful commitment to the cause.
- The problem of childhood slavery in West Africa and why it's getting worse.
- How Tony's is trying to address the problem of child slavery by paying cocoa growers a living wage and adding traceability to the supply chain. Tony's want to be a model for the industry.
- Other companies Tony's is working with to eradicate child slavery.
- How Tony's communicates its mission with stakeholders.
- The importance of leading with great tasting chocolate and then the social impact.