Today on CauseTalk Radio, Megan and I talk to Christy Phillips-Brown, Director, External Communications & Community Relations, for Food Lion, a grocery store chain with 1,000 stores in 10 states, about their efforts to fight hunger.
On the show, Megan, Christy and I discuss:
- Christy updates us on how Food Lion, a North Carolina based company, is working to help victims of the flooding from Hurricane Matthew.
- How Food Lion has changed course on point-of-sale programs over the years. They've gone from eight fundraisers to just one.
- How Food Lion has had success with giving shoppers a choice between making a flat donation OR rounding-up at the register.
- How Food Lion has developed other programs to raise money and give back to the community, particularly Feeding America and the 30 food banks in their service area.
- How Food Lion works with its vendors to donate 3 million meals.
- How Food Lion's Summer Without Hunger program is feeding needy kids over summer vacation.
- Food Lion's overhaul of its CSR program included creating new charitable platform, Food Lion Feeds.
- The one POS program Food Lion does over the holidays includes a special five-dollar gift box that shoppers can buy for themselves, give as a present or donate to a needy family.
- Food Lion has an annual awards program, The Feedy's, that honors those who are fighting hunger.
- For the second year, Food Lion employees are supporting local food banks with the Great Pantry Makeover! They fix, pain and restock local food banks so they can better serve the community.
- How Food Lion communicates with employees and customers about their cause-related efforts.